This is part 2 of the post “Succeed in Your Home Based Business – Basic Daily Habits (Part 1)”.
In this article we are going to x-ray how one habit the “To-do list” can contribute to success desired by every home based business owner.
A To – Do List
- A list of tasks that need to be completed, typically organized in order of priority – that is a ‘to-do list’. Developing the habit of drawing up a to do list on a daily basis helps you to stay focused mentally and organized because you have a clear picture of what needs to be done each day. This is a very important habit for an entrepreneur operating a home based business. Why? As an entrepreneur, you do not have a manager or supervisor who is constantly giving you tasks or targets and checking on your accomplished jobs. You are solely responsible for all of that. Therefore, if you do not have a clear focus of what you should do on a daily basis to achieve the desired success, you could easily get overwhelmed by the vast quantity of tasks that need to be accomplished.
- A ‘to-do list’ helps you keep track of your productivity. The overall success in your home based business is a combination of smaller accomplishments over a period of time. These smaller achievements are measured against clearly defined goals. So when you tick off completed tasks on your to do list, you feel the sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. Internally, the hormone Dopamine is released -that is a pleasure hormone which motivates you to work hard so that you can achieve the satisfaction of reaching a goal. That translates to more success.
- What of distractions? Many people jump from one uncompleted assignment to another and then another, and at the end of the day they have so many uncompleted tasks. This often happens because when carrying out one task, they are thinking about another undone one or even worrying about something they have forgotten. A properly structured to-do list will help you as entrepreneur to avoid that pitfall in your home based business. You will take on task, finish it and move on to the next important one and follow through the entire day.
- It takes away the pain of repeating similar tasks. A well written to-do list helps to structure daily activities which include putting together or combining assignments of similar nature. That took leads to more efficient use of time and other important resources.
- Finally, any uncompleted task at the end of the day is put into proper perspective. In line with this, a proper way to prepare a to-do list is to look over that of the previous day, any uncompleted assignment should be given the necessary attention in the new list.
The third and concluding part of this series will address the remaining habits.